My First Book
It is not about the first book I wrote. It’s about the first one I have ever read. I wasn't a great fan of reading books. From my childhood I had a big dislike for reading. My father used to have like a million books in our home. There were various books on various categories like Spiritual, Literature, Self help, Personal development etc etc in my home. I have never read a single one of them. One fine day my brother was telling about "The Da Vinci Code" and how interesting book it was and he also told me about another interesting book he had read. It was titled "God's Debris".
It was a small book about 140 pages and my brother gave me an e-copy of the book. I started reading the introduction of the book and surprisingly I found it interesting. I read like 5 pages that night and went to sleep. The next day I got up and the first thing I did was to read the book. I started reading the book and I finished reading it at one stretch. Six hours. I was amazed that I did that.
I found the book really interesting. Because it was a topic on one of my greatest interest. The "GOD" and his/her existence. The author of the book Scott Adams (author of the Dilbert series) had proposed a very interesting and different theory about the GOD. As he says, his theory was unconventional. But he had substantiated his theory scientifically. It required a great amount of concentration and involvement to understand his theory. His theory might as well be true. No one can give a proof about the existence of god. So I thought his theory at least had a substantial amount of scientific credibility. He claims that a human brain is nothing more than a "delusion generator".
After writing my previous topic my friends were commenting that "a million people believe in GOD and why won’t you do that"... "We will do what all the people believe and not believe what you think is the right way"... "If there are 1,00,000 people 99,999 will believe in the existence of GOD". I would like to quote to them what I read in this book and what I feel is absolutely true. Here I quote.
“Four billion people say they believe in God, but few genuinely believe. If people believed in God, they would live every minute of their lives in support of that belief. Rich people would give their wealth to the needy. Everyone would be frantic to determine which religion was the true one"...."People would dedicate their lives to converting others to their religions."
“A belief in God would demand one hundred percent obsessive devotion, influencing every waking moment of this brief life on earth. But your four billion so-called believers do not live their lives in that fashion, except for a few. The majority believes in the usefulness of their beliefs—an earthly and practical utility—but they do not believe in the underlying reality.”
“If you asked them, they’d say they believe.”
“They say that they believe because pretending to believe is necessary to get the benefits of religion. They tell other people that they believe and they do believer-like things, like praying and reading holy books. But they don’t do the things that a true believer would do, the things a true believer would have to do".
“If you believe a truck is coming toward you, you will jump out of the way. That is belief in the reality of the truck. If you tell people you fear the truck but do nothing to get out of the way that is not belief in the truck. Likewise, it is not belief to say God exists and then continue sinning and hoarding your wealth while innocent people die of starvation. When belief does not control your most important decisions, it is not belief in the underlying reality; it is belief in the usefulness of believing.”
“...people claim to believe in God, but most don’t literally believe. They only act as though they believe because there are earthly benefits in doing so. They create a delusion for themselves because it makes them happy.”
Here is the link where you can download an e-copy of it. God's Debris by Scott Adams. I am in no way trying to convince you that my belief is right and yours is wrong. I am saying that my belief might as well be true as you think about your belief.
Getting back to this topic, I somehow then developed some affinity to books and the same weekend I bought couple of books and now I am reading "The Da Vinci Code". What surprises me is how Dan Brown has managed to make the readers so captivated into the story. He puts forth a mystery at the end of every chapter and makes us feel "let me read this one chapter and then sleep".
I now realize that reading books is a good pass-time than watching TV. or just browsing over the internet. Book reading increases our concentration and not to mention the verbal skills you can develop out of it.
It was a small book about 140 pages and my brother gave me an e-copy of the book. I started reading the introduction of the book and surprisingly I found it interesting. I read like 5 pages that night and went to sleep. The next day I got up and the first thing I did was to read the book. I started reading the book and I finished reading it at one stretch. Six hours. I was amazed that I did that.
I found the book really interesting. Because it was a topic on one of my greatest interest. The "GOD" and his/her existence. The author of the book Scott Adams (author of the Dilbert series) had proposed a very interesting and different theory about the GOD. As he says, his theory was unconventional. But he had substantiated his theory scientifically. It required a great amount of concentration and involvement to understand his theory. His theory might as well be true. No one can give a proof about the existence of god. So I thought his theory at least had a substantial amount of scientific credibility. He claims that a human brain is nothing more than a "delusion generator".
After writing my previous topic my friends were commenting that "a million people believe in GOD and why won’t you do that"... "We will do what all the people believe and not believe what you think is the right way"... "If there are 1,00,000 people 99,999 will believe in the existence of GOD". I would like to quote to them what I read in this book and what I feel is absolutely true. Here I quote.
“Four billion people say they believe in God, but few genuinely believe. If people believed in God, they would live every minute of their lives in support of that belief. Rich people would give their wealth to the needy. Everyone would be frantic to determine which religion was the true one"...."People would dedicate their lives to converting others to their religions."
“A belief in God would demand one hundred percent obsessive devotion, influencing every waking moment of this brief life on earth. But your four billion so-called believers do not live their lives in that fashion, except for a few. The majority believes in the usefulness of their beliefs—an earthly and practical utility—but they do not believe in the underlying reality.”
“If you asked them, they’d say they believe.”
“They say that they believe because pretending to believe is necessary to get the benefits of religion. They tell other people that they believe and they do believer-like things, like praying and reading holy books. But they don’t do the things that a true believer would do, the things a true believer would have to do".
“If you believe a truck is coming toward you, you will jump out of the way. That is belief in the reality of the truck. If you tell people you fear the truck but do nothing to get out of the way that is not belief in the truck. Likewise, it is not belief to say God exists and then continue sinning and hoarding your wealth while innocent people die of starvation. When belief does not control your most important decisions, it is not belief in the underlying reality; it is belief in the usefulness of believing.”
“...people claim to believe in God, but most don’t literally believe. They only act as though they believe because there are earthly benefits in doing so. They create a delusion for themselves because it makes them happy.”
Here is the link where you can download an e-copy of it. God's Debris by Scott Adams. I am in no way trying to convince you that my belief is right and yours is wrong. I am saying that my belief might as well be true as you think about your belief.
Getting back to this topic, I somehow then developed some affinity to books and the same weekend I bought couple of books and now I am reading "The Da Vinci Code". What surprises me is how Dan Brown has managed to make the readers so captivated into the story. He puts forth a mystery at the end of every chapter and makes us feel "let me read this one chapter and then sleep".
I now realize that reading books is a good pass-time than watching TV. or just browsing over the internet. Book reading increases our concentration and not to mention the verbal skills you can develop out of it.
2 Comments:
Just one thought a person really need not spent any time supporting his belief.
Itz really gud. u read to support your views, it is even more healthier practice. About the quotes from that book ity sounds similar to Swami Vivekanada,s view abt God. If possible go through few works of Vivekanada on this topic.
Post a Comment
<< Home