MY Experiments With MY Life

The day-today events & experiments I encounter in my life

Thursday, August 10, 2006

I am a Vegetarian

I never thought I would say this sentence ever in my life. Here it is: "I am a Vegetarian".

Yes!! I have decided to become a vegetarian starting from today. For the people who know me well, it might be surprising or shocking as to why I've made this decision. But I’ve thought about it thoroughly and this was the outcome of my 2 day long thinking and discussions (with my mind).

Did I go crazy to take this decision? Am I out of mind?
No, I am perfectly normal and believe me I've thought this through.

So, why suddenly? After so many years of my life why did I come to this decision now?

I was reading a blog which I landed upon through orkut. The posting was talking about how animals are being killed for fur. It had a link to a video which was showing some scenes of how animals are killed and their fur is extracted. It was really brutal and the video affected me a lot. Live animals were beaten on the ground to death or unconscious state and they were hanged down and their limbs were cut and their skin was removed from their body like removing some wrapper over a chocolate. I wasn’t affected that much till I watched half way through the video. Then the video showed the fur being removed from a half conscious animal. The animal was struggling to escape but it couldn’t and the guy was still doing what he was doing. I was thinking, at least he can kill the animal and then remove it, so that it wont be so horrible. But NO. The guy removed the skin when the animal was still alive. Even after removing the skin the animal had life and the camera-man showed the eyes of it and I felt like the animal was trying to say "why have you done this to me??" The animal tried to turn around and heal itself, but it dint have enough energy left with it. Finally it fell dead. Here is the link to the video: Click Here. I couldn’t watch the video past this. I want to acknowledge the blog that I am talking about. Here is the link to the blog: Click Here

Usually I don’t watch such videos because I know that it would affect me. But I gave an exception for this and it had changed my lifestyle now. From my childhood whenever I see such kind of videos I think I should also not eat meat. There was a program on Doordharshan hosted by Menaka Gandhi where she use to show videos of animal being killed for their meat. I have thought I should stop eating meat that time also. But I didn't implement the thought. But this time my thought has gone to the next level.

I basically belong to a vegetarian family. My parents and my brother don’t eat meat. Only I do. But they never restricted me from doing it. My dad use to tell me always to quit eating it. But he doesn’t force me to do so. My mom used to say that eating it is bad, and you should realize it by yourself, and when you realize you will stop it on your own. Well, this is the moment I have realized it.

It is not because of any spiritual or religious reasons I am taking this decision. People who know me, know that I don’t believe in GOD. It is not even the idea of killing another living being. I am the person who would like to debate that plants are also living beings. By eating it we are killing some form of life. Whether it is a single cell or multi-cell organism, it is a form of living. Consider a plant. You kill it and you are affecting its usual process. If you hadn’t killed it, it would have continued doing its cell division process, and go through its biological routine. So I would say plants are the same as animal. Killing a plant is the same as killing an animal.

The difference comes in only in the way the killing affects the organism. Seeing an animal killed definitely will affect me more than seeing a plant killed. So does it mean that since plants cannot struggle or defend itself we can kill it? No, just because its biological nature is not as complex as other organisms in the higher level in the Biological tree, we cannot kill it. And also we human beings cannot live without food. The ecosystem is in such a way that higher level organisms feed on lower level organisms. That is why we feed on animals also. So the situation that is put in front of us is like this. I am killing organisms every day, whether it is directly or indirectly. It doesn’t matter. I am basically a killer. But it doesn’t mean that since I am a killer already I can kill whatever I want. Humans have the social awareness. That is why just because we are killers we don’t go and kill other human being. Since we are humans we are aware of the hurt we are causing to an animal physically. I have argued with vegetarians many times, that by killing plant also we are hurting it, but it could not express the hurt in a more obvious way. I am saying the same now also. I am hurting a plant by killing it. But I cannot live without eating anything at all. It comes down the "Survival of the Fittest" scenario. So now its like this, hurting a plant is less intensive and the hurt is less obvious than when it is done to an animal. So when I have an option of hurting an organism which shows its hurt/struggle more obviously and hurting an organism which cannot show its hurt in a more obvious way, I choose to hurt the later one.

So the basis of my decision is based upon the intensity of the hurt I am causing to it by killing it. And also the whole idea of Vegetarianism is totally subjective. Some people consider Egg is also a non-vegetarian food and some people say it is an exception based upon their reason for vegetarianism. Based upon my reason I feel that egg can be given an exception. But I am gonna try avoiding that also. Again it is totally subjective.

When I look back and see, I wanted to have a list of non-vegetarian food I've eaten. I am not proud in listing it but I feel proud that I am not going to kill them anymore. I am proud that I am making my family happy. Here they are: Beef, Mutton (Lamb), Pork, Rabbit, Fish, Prawn, Shrimp, Crab, Chicken, Turkey, Duck, I don’t know the English word for "Kaadai" but that is a kind of bird.

So that’s it. "I am a Vegetarian" :)

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..first of all...im shockeddd...is this u who is trying to quit non-veg !! is it true ???? but still good thought...this is wat i would try to explain everytime we have this veg n non-veg argument...but maybe i wasnt expressive...anywys...ur point is valid..n also in many cases we really dont kill the plant ..say for fruits like apple or mango..it doesnt effect the life of the plant too...only in a few cases we do kill the plant .and also as u said "survival of the fittest" is absolutely true.....good thinking !!!! keep it high !!!!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUPERR!!!!!!!!!! "survival of the fittest" "totally subjective" "Social awareness"... impressed to see these words.... so you really listened.... Well can't be any more proud of you than this.... it was a nice discussion we had... hope many more of it comes.... We should try our best to be as HUMANE as possible.... Really really really HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good one! I bet rather than the resolution u've taken now, u will need much more determination to keep it and not let go! lets see!!!! nevertheless, am shocked about the decision(for the Sundar as I've known u!)....anyways, will be happy if u continue to be this way!

(Do let us all know if u change ur mind too!!! ;)

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, Viji/Sundar, what do you say about wearing fur coats or anythg made of fur? Do any of you not wear fur coats for this reason? isnt that not HUMANE too???!!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Anu said...

When I wrote that blog, I seriously dint think it would have this good a response. I am happy that you chanced upon my blog and made this wonderful decision of yours.

I strongly believe we are humane if and only if we react and take fruitful steps to such insane acts.

But again, Vegetarianism is not just confined to food. And fur is not the only thing for which animals are killed.

Think about it...

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ajay Ravichandran said...

dude very noble ideas and a noble decision

ok now for the philosopher's bit :-)...
1. holy crap!!!

2. I believe that now comes the true test of your beliefs, can you maintain this status for the rest of your life...believe me it is tough (i almost drank wine yesterday :-D )

3. Well i do agree with your sympathy towards animals, but I was thinking like this: being a non vegetarian as such should not be construed to be a "bad" thing..because in some places people need animal meat to survive just like we need to eat plants to survive...what we should consider more is how this meat is obtained.. and whether animals are tortured to get the meat....what do u think???

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Vidhya:

i think a lot before taking a decision. once i take it i stick to it. so u will c tht. i thought abt this for 2 days and discussed/argued a lot with many ppl and thn i've made it. so theres no looking back.

and abt the fur thing. yeah they are being killed. we also kill lots of and lots of animals direclty r indirectly. todays lifestyle has become in such a way tht we cant avoid it. if u c we have lots and lots of products made out of animals , for eg leather. but i dont think we can totally avoid using leather. if u can do tht , thts well and gud. but no one can be perfect in todays world. but we can atleast try to be as humane as possible. at my this level i am going to avoid eating them. if i am going to avoid using animal products also thn i wuld consider tht as a next higher level. but as a human i will try to be as humane as possible. :)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Ajay:

I donno why u guys are thinking tht i cannot to stick to it. i made a decision not to eat anything on thursdays(most of u know). for the past 5 years i've maintained tht. anyway i dont have any necessity to prove wat i am going to do. i've made a decision and i will stick to it.

i dont say tht being a non-vegeterian is bad. the basic concept is killing other organisms. if i can survive only if i kill something i will do it. i have to survive. but the question arrives in situations where there are options. whn i dont have ultimate necessity to kill an animal i dont want to kill.

the source doesnt matter. whether they are tortured and they become meat or they live happily and they become meat doesnt matter. the ultimate thing tht counts is being humane in whatever possible ways u can.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sundar,

we did not mean to say u cannot stick to it kinds..I just meant to say, I have seen so many ppl taking resolutions like this and giving it up....It doesnt in any way bring down ur resolution! of course, we are proud of you!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sasi said...

That was exact reflection of my thoughts ! But could create an unwated guilt or a hatred towards the blog in a meat eaters mind ! I do not know whether the word sense directly relate to the "unarchchi" in tamil. So tamil version - "Miga Miga kuraintha Unarchchigal konda, Unarchchigalai velipaduththa koodiya, Unarvu poorvamaana vaazkkai vaazum uyirinathai unbathu thaan kurikkol". People do not eat dog as they know that it lives a more 'Unarvu poorvamaana Vaazkkai'. I mean to say, even now, people who eat non-veg follow what we are talking about, but in a different scale.
And we need a balance ! A society must have people who eat meat to control the increasing population of these living organisms that they eat and to have a control on the resource of vegetation, and Society must also have people who do not eat meat, humanitarian activists etc.. to make sure that things do not go out of control in meat eating practices, and resources (veg/meat) consumed are spread around the resources available.
Both meat eaters and non meat eaters are doing a favour to the world by creating a balance ! Everything is Food ! and everyone is Good ! So, Guys, Enjoy your dinner today !

1:56 PM  
Blogger Sasi said...

Good Work Sundar !

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sasi said...

That really is a horrible video. I wish I never saw that !

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a gud one. Real experiment. taking a decision and to stick to tht needs guts. Let us SEE.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

Not all vegetarian food involve killing plants. For example, consuming most fruits, vegetables and maize (corn) does not necessarily involve killing the plant and in many cases we are helping the plants in spreading the seeds far away from its own base. And some of the animal products like Milk need not involve killing/torture of the animals when done in an "ideal" fashion. This probably explains why Milk got into the vegetarian food among Hindus, while many of the root based vegetables (that involve uprooting and killing of the plant) were avoided for many religious occasions.

One can never be perfect and prevent the killing of every organism in the world, but one can always strive to minimize the killing, and if killing is really needed choosing the least complex of organisms (with undeveloped neural systems) and if killing is needed in a complex organism choosing the most humane way to do it.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home